Penguin update penalize those websites that violated Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. The manipulative techniques which is used to improve rankings, referred to as “Black Hat”, include keyword stuffing, cloaking, participating in link exchange, and using duplicate content for search engine benefit, and excessive use of exact-match keywords in links and content.
If you want to increase or boost your ranking, here is your guide:
Stop working on these things:
- Don’t use list of keywords in page title, Use a suitable description or your brand name.
- Meta Description is not used for ranking. So stop excessive keyword stuffing in the description. It is mainly used for describing your link in search result.
- Using meta keywords which are not considered by most of the search engines for rankings. It’s still good practice to include a meta-keyword here or there for certain tools that may still use them, but the search engines don’t.
- H1 tag is the primary tag. Include your primary keyword in it. The secondary keyword is H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6. Fit keywords according to their requirement in these tags. Don’t try to place exact keyword in in it. These keywords must be shared by additional words to make a sense.
- Use alt tags for images and place descriptive alt tag or none at all.
- Keyword-rich URL naming conventions. It doesn’t contain the junky letters and numbers.
- Cloaking. Just don’t do it. If a page is optimized for today’s search engines, it should already look very nice for a human.
- Poor, Duplicate and low quality content on your site.
- Don’t repeat navigational links in both the header and footer.
- Excessive internal link using keywords as the anchor text.
- Build your website for users not for search engines.
Things to focus on:
- SEO Friendly Website Architecture – Use all the new mark-up that is available to make your listings in the search result stand out like rel=author, schema.org and so on.
- Title should be descriptive that consider branding and shareability. When a user sees your title and if it is excited then wants to click on it because it sounds interesting. Not just because of that that keyword he typed.
- Use social networking badges so users can share your website socially and easily.
- Consider UI, UX, and Accessibility as primary aspects when building your website and your pages.
- Page load time should be low to get a better rank in search engines. Here is article ‘Best practices for speeding up your website’
- Update your content that should be fresh, informative and unique. Users love to share with others.
- Place testimonials, case studies and customer’s experiences which help to decrease the bounce rate.
Off Site SEO : (Link Building)
Link building is the biggest hit during the Penguin update. Link building is the most essential ranking factor for your page and your site as a whole. We have to choose which types of link actually works and avoid the ones that can hurt us.
Things to stop working on:
- Free Directories
- Low Quality Social Bookmarking Websites
- Free Articles Directories
- Link exchanges
- Paid/Sponsored links
- Links from Spun content
- Unnatural links (links from irrelevant websites)
- Participating in link schemes
- Links from duplicate content. (If scrapers link to you, no problem. If you go out of your way to rank using them: big problem.)
- Links from banned/penalized websites
- Excessive use of exact match keywords as anchor text
- Any or every manipulative link building practice
Things to focus on:
Niche - Always try to get or make links form the sites that are relevant.
Advanced - Your link building techniques shouldn’t rely on something that anybody could do easily.
Legitimate - Your link building efforts should be justifiable as marketing alone even in the absence of search engines.
Vary keywords as anchor text - Tons of links with the exact same text is simply unnatural, even in your own marketing efforts. Focus on text that gets a click-through not that uses a particular keyword.
Brand perspective - Your promotional efforts should fit with your brand.
Content marketing - Obviously this got huge this year. You should focus on producing content that is naturally shared and linked. In other words, link earning in addition to link building.
Getting citations - You should make it clear to the search engines what your brand name is so that the search engines can recognize when it is mentioned without a link. Google is using statistical data and co-citation to rank sites using off-site factors that go beyond links, so focus on creating buzz and getting discussions about your brand going.